Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dar

This past Wednesday, for the fourth time, John and I saw Dar Williams in concert in Lawrence. And it's been 4 years, much too long. We were in the second row at Liberty Hall and it was like seeing an old friend again. Dar's song, "After All", inspired the name of this blog. I can still remember the first time I heard her sing. It was 1996 and I was driving in San Antonio and listening to KSYM when the song "As Cool As I Am" came on. I called my friend who was the dj that afternoon and asked her about the song. Thankfully, John grew to love her music as much as I did.

Stephen Kellog (minus The Sixers) opened for Dar and we liked his music right away. He was a good storyteller too and amused us between songs. I spoke to him after his set and bought two cds.
Dar came on about 9:30pm and Liberty Hall erupted with applause. After a few songs, there was some mic trouble and awful feedback. While this was taken care of, Dar sat on a stool and sang "What Do You Hear in These Sounds?". It was so still and quiet, we didn't want to miss a note. Time flew and as she played her second encore, I got teary. We'd waited four years to see her again and I didn't want it to end.

We walked back to our car and took the long way. What a wonderful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment